[mythtv-users] Help with picking motherboard

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 03:39:22 UTC 2008

2008/9/24 Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com>:

>>> So I'm stuck between 2 motherboard models:
>>>
>>> AMD (GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H):
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090
>>>
>> Are you planning to buy a video card? 'cause I never could make the ATI
>> drivers work for this SOB.
>>

> I agree.  I used this motherboard in two mythdora machines.  The video
> worked OK for 720p, but with occasionally noticeable tearing, and complete
> garbling of the video when changing channels/resolution during live TV.  I
> finally gave up and bought a pair of fanless nvidia cards until the ATI
> drivers come together.
>
> Jim

Hey,
I'm using this mobo for a combined FE/BE using a 1680x1050 monitor as
my display.
The tearing/garbling is annoying, it occurs when changing between
channels of different resolutions.
Escaping back to the menu and going back to the TV fixes it... but it
shouldn't be happening!
It does not have any effect on recordings, or on playing back recorded shows.
The latest drivers (8.8) still don't fix this issue.

On the up side, it is possible to get this chipset in some very
compact packaging:
http://www.jwele.com/motherboard_detail.php?419
Possibly inside something like this:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=lc05&area=usa