[mythtv-users] UTF-8 Support in MythTV still looks messed up to me

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Wed Sep 24 07:50:00 UTC 2008

Michael,
> IMHO, the proper way of dealing with it in 0.21-fixes is to live with
> the problems/mangled text.
No offense to you personally, but that's not any kind of solution. And
since you don't have any solutions on offer, then I don't think you
really have a standpoint for dismissing other solutions which have
worked for other people just fine for ages now.

You make it sound like the modifications to the database I wrote on the
Wiki mess things up so horribly that worlds will come to an end, no one
would ever be able to use MythTV again, your dog will get psoriasis,
etc... etc...

The only possible risk is that one would have to do a clean install of
MythTV if the new version is incompatible with the old database. Having
installed MythTV about three or four times now on different systems, I
would categorize that way below the apocalyptic disaster you place it
at, and put it more on the level of "minor hassle".

A minor hassle that is much less than not being able to use any local
text for as long is it takes to wait for new versions, as you suggest.

In other words, given the risks versus rewards, I'm going with the hack.
At least it is an actual solution.

--
Dave M G