[mythtv-users] Asus Eee Box vs Dell hybrid vs Mac mini

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Sep 24 13:58:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:24:25PM -0400, Reid Anderson wrote:
[deletia]
> The next on the list would be a Dell hybrid, and the only thing I've
> read being an issue with them is the Intel X3100 integrated graphics
> and the lack of support for it in Ubuntu 8.04 (I run Mythbuntu across
> the board).  VESA drivers apparently do the trick, and 8.10 will

     For something like MythTV I would view being stuck with vesa
video drivers as a severe show stopper.

> hopefuly solve this as well.  I suspect that I would need to bump up
> to 2GB over the standard 1GB RAM since the graphics memory is shared.
> I'm also curious about support for 802.11n (draft, I know).
>
> The last one would be a Mac Mini, but that too has intricacies
> revolving around Intel graphics support among other things.  It is

    No, not really. Getting mythtv up on a mini is very simple actually.
The video chipset is older and well enough supported. The whole "bios video
modes" thing hasn't been a problem since 7.04. It also performs pretty well.

    It's too bad about the X3100...

[deletia]