[mythtv-users] IR Blasting a Freeview Box

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 22:41:32 UTC 2008

On 24/09/2008, Andrew Hall <andyjohnhall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
>  Can anyone recommend a Freeview box (UK) which LIRC is able to IR Blast ?
>
>  I'd like to be sure I purchase one which I can get MythTV to change
>  the channel on.

LIRC should be able to control any remote-controlled STB, provided you
have a suitable IR transmitter. You also need a capture card for the
signal from the digibox, and a quality AV cable to transfer the
signals between the two.

As all other respondents have written, unless you have very poor
reception, a PCI or USB2 DVB-T tuner is more flexible, more reliable,
provides better picture and audio quality, is self-contained, cheaper
overall, and much quicker to configure than using a capture card, LIRC
and an external digibox. I've been using DVB-T cards (Hauppauge and
KWorld) since 2004, and have no problems to report.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/