[mythtv-users] HR21 DirecTV receiver as HD input to MythTV box through HDMI?

Peter Pavlovich pavlovich at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 23:32:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:

> What about this one?
>>
>> http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
>>
>> Assuming it is supported in Linux, would this not work?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter

> This one is not supported in Linux. Even if it was you would have several
> problems. First that card is made to capture uncompressed HD video from HDMI
> for video editing. HD video editing prefer uncompressed formats because they
> trade space for speed of processing the video. An uncompressed 720p or
> 1080i/p video from this card will range from 600-800 GB/hr. The 2nd problem,
> as others have mentioned, is HDCP encryption. Capture cards that have hdmi
> inputs are required to not capture anything with encryption.

I think that this might solve that problem ... the *MUX*HD* shown here

http://www.curtpalme.com/MUX-HD.shtm

I spoke with the vendor by email and they assured me that this unit would
"fix" that pesky *H*D*C*P* issue.

With that in mind, assuming that there is no *D*R*M* issue with capturing
HDMI output, any other suggestions as to how to capture that? It looks as
though the *MUX*HD* also has a DVI output which could be used for input to
some sort of capture device. Any DVI input capture devices that you folks
know will work with Linux?

Thanks!

Peter