[mythtv-users] FE Motherboard: DG45FC

Adam Skinner kingmoffa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:51:05 UTC 2008

> Adam Skinner wrote:
> > This is a mini itx board from intel supporting lots of new
> processors
> > and has hdmi out.
>
> I have this board, and am trying to set it up as a Myth frontend
> using
> minimyth.
>
> > As its intel , who are a bit nicer with their open source views -
> does
> > anyone know if audio over hdmi will work with this board?
>
> It's hard to say, as I haven't got that far yet.  Lots of other
> issues
> like having to compile a new Fedora 9 kernel with the e1000e driver
> from
> the latest available kernel to get networking to work...  Will be
> fixed
> in Fedora 10 / Ubuntu 8.10.  I am hopeful based on some initial
> research
> about the intel hda alsa driver, but time will tell.
>
> Additionally, there are bugs being worked out in the video driver,
> and
> it is fairly easy to crash X at the moment, though I hope that
> changes
> relatively soon.
>
> > There is another question, that may/may not be specific to this
> board.
> > It doesn't have a proper RS232 serial port - which I use for lirc. I
> > would like one. It has a serial port header, so does this mean I can
> get
> > an adaptor/cable that will work with it and turn it into a proper
> serial
> > port?? I cannot use a usb->serial adaptor as lirc doesn't like
> them.
>
> I've ordered a low profile motherboard header -> backplane, though I
> don't know if it will work or not yet.  It's a Supermicro
> CBL-0010-LP,
> which was hard to find in stock online anywhere.  However, there is a
> chance that the pins are not wired correctly.  If that turns out to
> be
> the case, I'll simply cut the connector and replace it with an RJ-45
> jack to match the connector used with the IRA-3.
>
> > Any other thoughts about this bit of kit welcome. I need a new quiet
> > small FE - eee box was tempting but no serial and hdmi.  Same
> problem
> > with mac mini. Dell studio hybrid has hdmi,  but that isn't a cheap
> bit
> > of kit.
>
> I have a goal of having an HD capable frontend available for when the
> HD-PVR-1212 becomes supported, either .22 or a .21 fixes branch.  I
> have
> 4gb of ram and a 3Ghz Core2Duo and was initially hopeful for blu-ray
> playback.
>
> While I see many people posting that playback of HD-PVR recording
> works
> great, I do not feel totally confident that a 3Ghz Core2Duo is
> capable
> [...]
Thanks for the feedback Anthony.

The lack of vga and ps2 ports are not a problem for me.

I didn't think networking would be an issue - but from what you say it
sounds like its fixed. I wasn't planning on running an old distro on
it.

What case did you fit this board in and more importantly what did you do
for a PSU?
I've never built a mini-itx box before and I know a lot of people like
to use DC/AC converters and laptop power bricks. My electrical knowledge
isn't so great and I am going to need some advice from someone in the
know.

I was hoping the G45 wouldn't have many problems being an intel chip. Oh
well I am sure they will be sorted in time. Does this chip do hardware
acceleration of HD video formats and if so, any chance linux will have
it?