[mythtv-users] FreeBSD 7

Patrick Lahni list at cykotix.com
Fri Sep 26 19:56:45 UTC 2008

Quoting "Anthony R. Baker" <baker at low-e.com>:

> Patrick
>
>  I've used FreeBSD at work and at home for ten + years and even built a Myth
> FE/BE on a 4.5 system but it wasn't worth the trouble. It was much easier to
> learn the little differences in linux and FreeBSD. Than it was to get the
> hardware and driver issues worked out. You should read
> http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/multimedia/mythtv.html With this in mind
> without V4L support I would only try FreeBSD again as a frontend unless I
> was looking for a challange. Any linux distro is easier than FreeBSD. IMHO

I'm comfortable using linux; however, due to certain circumstances I
am inclined to use FreeBSD.  The driver issues are not the problem.
As I've stated, I can cat the device and get a proper mpeg file.  Now
I understand the issues with v4l, this is why I was initially posting
to see if someone has actually taken to the time to port (at least the
backend) to FreeBSD.  I realize it is a small niche but google has
essentially yielded nothing on the topic recently.

Anyone who could provide some help would be greatly appreciated.
Until then, I suppose I can see about getting my hands on another
machine to install Gentoo on as well, but ideally I would not like to
add another machine to my arsenal.

Regards,

Patrick