[mythtv-users] recording DVR's saved shows.

Robert Macaulay robert.macaulay at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 22:21:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Steve Heistand <steve at heistand.org> wrote:

> I have a number of shows on my directv DVR that I want to transfer
> to mythtv. Only Im not sure how best to go about recording them.
> I could go into "live tv" mode use the remote to go into the
> recorded shows on the DVR and start playing one and then press
> 'record' on mythtv. But that will also record everything up to
> the point of the actual show, none of which I want.
> maybe there is a way to "edit" a recorded show and cut out parts?
>
> also my storage group for "live tv" is a different filesytem
> then I record shows to, if I record something live does it then
> change storage locations?
>
> I could I guess hack the channel changer script to issue
> the commands to go into the stored shows instead of going to
> a particular channel.
>
> In any case I will have to edit the description of what mythtv
> thinks it is. Is there a way to do that on a recorded show?
> ie if I do live tv all mythtv knows is what was on the channel
> it was tuned to. Will have to rename the show after its recorded.
>
> any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> thanks

Sounds rather painful to do. With directTv, you own the DVR, right? So its
not going anywhere. Just keep it hooked up to your entertainment center till
its empty, then you're done. You're gonna have quality loss on the xfer
anyways, and you shouldn't have to pay any more money once you cancel your
SVR service. The recordings you made should still be accessable, right?