[mythtv-users] thrashing hard drive

kevin r. marshall kevin at pipeline.com
Sat Sep 27 09:31:56 UTC 2008

Whether this has anything to do with the thrashing issue, i do not know, but you are correct about XFS.  I have used XFS exclusively since 2002 on both SGI and linux boxen and i have no complaints at all, but i'd like to know where this misconception about XFS and fragmentation comes from.  SGI doesn't support this view.  A default install of IRIX on a late model SGI box, will set itself to run fsr_xfs (name is swapped under IRIX) every morning at 3:AM.  Unfortunately, very few people who setup XFS under linux setup xfs_fsr to run under a cron job.

XFS is an excellent file system, and it is much less prone to fragmentation than many others, but no actively used file system is completely immune to it.