[mythtv-users] UPnP video and commercial skipping?

Rob Greene robgreene at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 03:47:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:47 PM, sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking around for advice from those who've use a ps3 FE.
>
> How do you do it? The gorier the details the better.

I wasn't too structured about it, but as I recall, the upnp server is
on by default (in fact, I don't know if it can be turned off per se).
It wasn't working, so I looked through the myth backend logs and saw
upnp server errors about the IP address.  I had set it up with
127.0.0.1 in the server configuration and allowed DHCP to assign the
IP.  I changed that to a static assignment and updated the server
configuration.  I think that's it -- worked just fine after that.  I
currently have a PVR 250 and 350 (analog, mpeg2) and am waiting on
some HDTV hardware and hope I have the same success.  (Just in case it
matters, I'm using MythDora.)

I have noticed that it takes a few seconds for the server to show up.
(Quite literally, I was in the theater about 5 minutes ago.  Blu-ray
movie was over, I exited the player and went to the video menu.  My
server wasn't there.  It showed up about 5 seconds later.  I assume
that delay is the network discovery part.)

I do need to fast forward through commercials, which is why I ask
about commercial skip.  That would be really sweet.

Hope that helps you out!
-Rob