[mythtv-users] UPnP video and commercial skipping?

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Sun Sep 28 16:42:05 UTC 2008

> Ok then, an idea:  Is is possible for the upnp server to have the
> ability to just not play the commercials?  Either some global setting

 The UPnP server doesn't "play" anything. Your upnp client
says "Gimme file X from bytes y to bytes z" and the server serves
exactly that up. And when your client needs the next round of data
it just makes another request for the new range of bytes.

A Upnp server is basically a fancy web server.

To support some sort of commercial skip would require the client to
understand a cutlist of sorts. Show me a client that supports it
and we can likely let the server tell the client which range of frames
to skip, but the main part is the support on the upnp client for it.
It would certainly be useful if your client can handle it.

It's probably easier to just import the commerical list and do a
lossless transcode to actually remove them from the file :)