[mythtv-users] reinitialize TV cards without rebooting?

carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi
Mon Sep 29 06:50:42 UTC 2008

Hey,

I'm not 100% sure about this, but at least if you have DVB cards you should be
able to re-init the cards by restarting the dvb sub-system. In openSUSE (10.3)
this is done by calling the rcdvb script (/usr/sbin/rcdvb in 10.3 at least) as
root:

rcdvb restart
(might be that you need to use "rcdvb reload", I don't know since I've never
had to use this script)

It might be a good idea to stop the backend before doing this and then put it
back up after the DVB system has been restarted. This to prevent mythtv from
flipping out when the cards disappear. Mind you, it might be that myth handles
this as well in some nice way, but better safe than sorry :)

-Calle