[mythtv-users] rookie mythtv prospective user

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Sep 29 19:12:28 UTC 2008

>Hi,
>I went to the site you recommended. Very detailed and clear
>instructions on
>how to install Mythdora or Mythbuntu. But I don't want a dedicated MyTV
>box - I'm using my desktop for other things and want MythTV as
>just one of
>the available applications.
>I guess that is my core problem.
>Paul

Paul, if you use mythbuntu, there is an option in there to have it also
install a full ubuntu desktop. I'd really recommend going that route, as
this will make the myth install part very easy, plus it'll give you full
ubuntu with all the bells and whistles.

I've tried installing myth from within an ubuntu install and found that
getting the remote controll and ir blaster to work was just a major pain in
the butt. Those two things are super simple in the mythbuntu install.

-Steve