[mythtv-users] rookie mythtv prospective user

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:14:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM, paltron <paltron at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
> I went to the site you recommended. Very detailed and clear instructions on
> how to install Mythdora or Mythbuntu. But I don't want a dedicated MyTV
> box - I'm using my desktop for other things and want MythTV as just one of
> the available applications.
> I guess that is my core problem.

That's the same setup I use, and what I ended up doing was installing
Ubuntu (8.04), and then installing Mythbuntu "over" it.  The
installation manual on the mythbuntu website talks about this
specifically in chapter 3 under "metapackage", and on the website...

http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu

I didn't get the setup screen popping up immediately on bootup or
login as you did (do you have an automated login?  An installation of
the Mythbuntu from scratch would in fact do it that way.  I think
that's how it happened on my front-end), and I was able to configure
the backend/frontend just fine from the instructions in the manual and
on the website.

I've also done the Fedora MythTV add-ons on Fedora 6 (as described on
the Fedora Mythology website), but I haven't done that since FC6.  It
seemed to work fine then, though.  Very clear and step-by-step.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
--
Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 at gmail.com