[mythtv-users] NVP: prebuffering pause

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 29 21:12:12 UTC 2008

On 09/29/2008 02:37 PM, Darrin wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Darrin Smith wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting:Prebuffering_pause
>>>
>>> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1
>>  If developers gave an error message that was less cryptic, I'm sure you
>> would not be answering this question so often.  Hmmm....  maybe that's the
>> real bug!
>>
>> ;-)
> Ok -  I read through the page you linked to

So now you see that it's not a cryptic error message that devs put in
there just for fun.

> I'm left with questions.  How does one go about debugging this issue in a
> more definitive manner than just whacking aimlessly at the video settings
> like the wiki is suggesting?  It would seem there is a real need for better
> debugging output or more informative messages to help the end user diagnose
> what's going on.  Is there a way to get better, more informative output from
> the program?
>
> What other suggestions might you have for me to try and diagnose the
> problem?  Any ideas would be welcome.

Best suggestion is, once you figure out what's causing it, add it to the
wiki page.  Only a couple of weeks ago, that wiki page had one entry
(with an close-but-not-quite/slightly-outdated solution).  That means,
as one of the first to find a misconfiguration that's not described, you
get the honor of improving the page.  :)

As I'm the one who put all those entries on that page, and as there's
only one I've thought of since*** that I haven't yet added, I have no
other suggestions for you.

Mike (off to add one more case)

***Assumptions: ext3 or other filesystem known to have
resource-intensive deletes, Symptoms: happens during LiveTV or when
deleting recordings, Fix: enable "Delete files slowly" in mythtv-setup
General settings