[mythtv-users] Will AC3 support on the HD-PVR improve playback performance?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Sep 29 22:22:36 UTC 2008

According to
<URL:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1069799>, using
ffmpeg to transcode the (currently two-channel) audio track on HD-PVR
recordings into AC3--so the receiver does the decoding--improves
playback.

My Pentium 4 3.0 frontend can just (and I mean just) play the various
720p at 6Mbps sample recordings that are available, if I use the
skiploopfilter patch. I intend to deploy my HD-PVR once the
5.1-supporting firmware's out and HD-PVR support's backported to 0.21,
and will only record audio from my cable boxes via S/PDIF. Does this
mean that--all else being equal--I should see a performance
improvement versus my experience with the sample clips, given that all
the audio will be in AC3 format passed straight through my soundcard
to the receiver?

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | San Francisco CA US