[mythtv-users] rookie mythtv prospective user

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Sep 30 16:47:25 UTC 2008

Darrin wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM, paltron <paltron at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>  I have a Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) desktop. Hardware requirements duly met.
>> MythTV installs (both front and backend), however, when I fire up the
>> computer I get to the blue config screen, with no mouse control whatsoever,
>> only the tab key and the enter key works. It starts with a language
>> preference, then goes into a seemingly preset configuration mode, asking
>> about ping, mysql, gives a password, then I somehow navigate to finish and
>> the whole thing freezes there. After a reboot (tried both hot and cold) same
>> scenario, except it also tells me that no backend was found.
>> It can't be just me (I hope).
>> What am I doing wrong (if anything)?
>> Paul
>
> I just did the same thing you did and I feel your pain, somewhat.
>
> I didn't reboot after the package install, since I really hate having to
> lose my work on my desktop.  Instead, I just started the backend setup
> program and started going through all of the prompts.
>
> One thing that did happen to me: I had to create the database in mysql and
> setup the mythtv user manually before I could get the backend to talk to the
> database.  The commands are relatively simple and I found them in one of the
> online howto's.
>
> The mouse issue is quite annoying.  Somewhere in the setup, I think it's
> under the Appearance item in the setup for mythfrontend, there is a checkbox
> to have it show the mouse cursor all the time.  Until I changed that option,
> I found the interface to be really aggravating, also.

Since the general intention is to set up your mythfrontend in a PC with a small
box and just connected to your TV, the front-end setup is designed to be
accessed using nothing but your remote control. You are not going to be able to
see the mouse pointer from the other side of your living-room (for most sizes of
living-room).

And please bottom-post.

--

Mike Perkins