[mythtv-users] Sharing backend with VPN

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 30 21:41:53 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:49 PM, daniel åkerud wrote:
>
>> Hi, i'm trying to share my backend over Hamachi VPN, and I'm facing a
>> problem. The problem is the backend says it's IP is 192.168.1.2
>> <http://192.168.1.2> (which is correct, for my local LAN) but then
>> other frontends not in my local LAN are trying to connect to an IP
>> that doesn't exist. The mysql connection is no problem, it's the
>> backend connection on port 6543 (after a GET_RECODER something command).
>>
>> So, the first thing I tried was to change the backend IP to the
>> Hamachi IP (5.x.x.x) which indeed works, but now the problem is that
>> now even all my local frontends need Hamachi VPN, and when the Hamachi
>> servers are down (happens, although not for very long) or your
>> internet connection is down, you can't watch TV even at home. Bummer.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to solve this?
>
> Two NIC cards. One configured for your load network, one configured for
> your VPN. You could also do it with some fancy routing table stuff, but
> two NIC's is easier to set up and maintain.

You can get the same effect with a single NIC by using interface
aliases.  But that still won't solve the MythTV problem, since Myth's
database will only have a single IP.

One solution that might work would be to refer to the machine by
hostname instead, then set up each machine's /etc/hosts file to point to
the correct IP for that machine.