[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Larry J - Dell LT larry at foxgulch.com
Wed Apr 1 13:24:33 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/31/2009 04:49 PM, Larry on the Dell Laptop wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Again, you do realize that there's an issue in Myth that affects
>>> -fixes users with versions prior to r19222, right?  So, it's likely
>>> that now that you've downgraded Myth to pre-r19222, the occasional
>>> delay was the screensaver one, not the other issue.
>>>
>>> Unless, of course, you did as I said and got rid of
>>> gnome-screensaver-command, that is.
>> Thank you again Mike.   I 'll  kill the screen saver again and see if
>> my 18722 shows the remote button press delay.  Maybe the delay is
>> prompted from two separate causes, this one and the one Josh has
>> identified.
>
> Not kill the screensaver, but prevent gnome-screensaver-command from
> ever executing--i.e. get it off your system or mv it or something.
>
> Mike

For what's worth,  in my Mythbuntu gnome desktop
System->Preferences->Screensaver (which you can also access from the
command line with  gnome-screensaver-preferences)    I   DO NOT have a
check by "Activate Screensaver when CPU Idle".    When I do a ps -A |
grep gnome   I DO see a process ID associated with the
gnome-screen-sav.    But since installing Josh's replacement
libmythavformat file, I haven't experienced any   IR Remote Button
Presses delays.   So here at least, it seems sufficient just to NOT HAVE
a check by "Activate Screensaver when CPU Idle".   I never see the
screensaver activate so I assume that my entry in the gui has prevented
the screen saver from activating/running.

So I've made all the corrections suggested by Josh.

1.  Screensaver is configured not to activate

2.  Option "UseEvents" "True"' in the "Device"  section  of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

3.  Replaced  libmythavformat  with Josh's new and improved file.

So far,  I haven't had any "IR Remote Button Press Delays".   This is
with myth version  18722.

Larry