[mythtv-users] Transcoding for a Nokia N95 (or Symbian)

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 10:34:03 UTC 2009

2009/4/2 David Fishburn <dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com>

> [snip]

> These have raised a few questions, which I hope someone on the list
> can provide some answers for.
>
> 1.  Please provide a complete ffmpeg command line you use to generate
> compatible .mp4 files for this device.
> I used this which worked, though not sure if it is optimal:
> ffmpeg -y -i ...mythtv/recordings/1000_20090401073900.mpg -s 320x240
> -r 15 -f mp4 -ac 2 -ar 24000 -ab 64 -b 250000 /tmp/test.mp4

Wou also need the SVN version number, as ffmpeg changes it's parameters as
often as it's socks it seems.

you might also want to take a look at 'Handbreak', I use it to convert AVIs
to a format my iPod will play, there are linux binaries available (I use it
under windows).

http://handbrake.fr/?article=download

Also, it's worth getting the DivX player for the phone, this allows my N82
to play most AVIs I've thrown at it without any format reencoding required.
(hardware wise the N82 and N95 are fairly similar.) The player isn't the
most user friendly out there but it does provide the orientation switching
you require.

It might be worth installing this and trying it with your test mp4, if it
doesn't show up rename it to test.divx and try again.

I find the divx site a bit annoying, but I think this is the apropriate URL:

http://www.divx.com/mobile/requirements.php

Cheers,

Ian