[mythtv-users] Much improved 1080i display

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Apr 2 14:15:15 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/4/2 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:
>> Below is a post from the thread "New deinterlacer for perfect image
>> quality when using an interlaced display, mode that matches the
>> source" I just thought I'd repost it under a different title because
>> the original title gave the impression that use of the deinterlacer
>> was only for interlaced displays. This should give improved
>> quality on any TV with good 1080i support.
>
> I haven't had much luck with it.
>
> Video card is a nVidia 9400M (integrated IGP)
>
> TV is a Sony LCD native 1920x1080.
>
> Set the output to be 1080i @ 50Hz
>
> Created a video profile to use the Interlaced 2X de-interlacer
>
> Started watching a 576i video
>
> And I can't see the Sony doing any deinterlacing whatsoever ... It's
> like none were applied

I think that's as I would expect. I don't have an HD TV or any HD
sources to test with, but I believe Tom has his system set up to
use several display modes, matching them to the source. So you'd
need to make it use the 1080i mode only for 1080i content, and
you'd need a 576i mode more 576i content. That's assuming you
can send 576i via the input of the TV that you've chosen to use.
My guess would be that HDMI and DVI inputs can accept 576i, but
I've never tried it.

Cheers,
	Paul.