[mythtv-users] Much improved 1080i display

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Apr 2 15:12:15 UTC 2009

Simeon Walker wrote:

> 2009/4/2 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net <mailto:lists at glidos.net>>
>
>     Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>         Hi
>
>         2009/4/2 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net <mailto:lists at glidos.net>>:
>
>             Below is a post from the thread "New deinterlacer for
>             perfect image
>             quality when using an interlaced display, mode that matches the
>             source" I just thought I'd repost it under a different title
>             because
>             the original title gave the impression that use of the
>             deinterlacer
>             was only for interlaced displays. This should give improved
>             quality on any TV with good 1080i support.
>

>         I haven't had much luck with it.
>
>         Video card is a nVidia 9400M (integrated IGP)
>
>         TV is a Sony LCD native 1920x1080.
>
>         Set the output to be 1080i @ 50Hz
>
>         Created a video profile to use the Interlaced 2X de-interlacer
>
>         Started watching a 576i video
>
>         And I can't see the Sony doing any deinterlacing whatsoever ... It's
>         like none were applied
>

>     I think that's as I would expect. I don't have an HD TV or any HD
>     sources to test with, but I believe Tom has his system set up to
>     use several display modes, matching them to the source. So you'd
>     need to make it use the 1080i mode only for 1080i content, and
>     you'd need a 576i mode more 576i content. That's assuming you
>     can send 576i via the input of the TV that you've chosen to use.
>     My guess would be that HDMI and DVI inputs can accept 576i, but
>     I've never tried it.
>

> I think quite a few HDTV's won't accept SD interlaced over the DVI/HDMI.
> My Samsung certainly won't.

Then it would probably be best to use a 720p display mode and the yadif
deinterlacer (or one of the vdpau ones) for 576i. But still 1080i
content should benefit from using a 1080i mode and the fieldorder
deinterlacer.

Another option would be to use S-Video or Scart for SD. My suspicion
is that the improved deinterlacing within the TV will outweigh the
difference between S-Video and HDMI for SD content (an untested
theory, I have to admit).

P.