[mythtv-users] Remove dead slave server from database?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 3 14:38:56 UTC 2009

On 04/03/2009 08:47 AM, Johnny wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:39 AM, Erik Umans wrote:
>
>> As far as I remember it is possible to remove a single capture card and
>> video source by highlighting the card/source in the backend configuration
>> and pressing the menu button (or 'M' on the keyboard). Then you can select
>> 'Delete' from a popup menu.
> True, but I think the point of the procedure is to clear out all tuner
> cards, ie even those from a missing slave backend that wouldn't be
> showing up in mythtv-setup on the main backend (at least I don't think
> they would).

Exactly...  To see the cards/sources from the missing backend, the OP
would have to make Myth think he's running on that missing backend
(which is likely to cause problems because of the different/missing
capture hardware).

Besides, the approach I gave cleans /everything/ up.  I like to think of
that approach as the same one I use when someone gives me a MS Word
document to format--rather than trying to undo the things they've done
incorrectly so I can do them correctly, I just save to plain text, then
format it correctly from the start.  It's a /lot/ easier to ensure
everything is properly defined when you start from a known state.

And, really, defining capture cards and connecting inputs takes me all
of 30 seconds with my setup (with 2 backends having 2 capture cards
each--whose inputs need connected in a specific order to spread out the
load).  Defining my video source (OTA digital) takes me all of about 2
minutes more than the full channel scan itself takes.  (And, see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Backup_xmltvid_data_.28before_doing_a_full_channel_scan.29
and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Restore_xmltvids_after_a_channel_scan
for a way to make it a bit easier.  Note that I'm going to eventually do
a much better implementation of the channel fixup--just need to make
some time.)

Sure, if you're out of practice it may take a bit longer, but still, it
shouldn't take too long.

Mike