[mythtv-users] Comcast & Firewire STB's without 5C/Firewire equipment

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 22:21:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   If I go over to the Comcast store today and pick up a
> Firewire-enabled STB (assuming they even have them) will I be able to
> make it talk to MythTV without any form of 5C-enabled HD equipment?
> I.e. - does the Firewire port 'just work' or does the box have to see
> a Firewire-enabled TV to get them to turn it on?
>
>   Their cost is $8/month/STB but I don't even know if it will work for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

5C is determined entirely by your cable provider's local headend.
Someone in the very same city might find that their headend engineer
has set 5C to "on" for all programs on all channels.  You (on a
different headend) might find that none of it is.  For the vast
majority of people, the reality is that little or none of the channels
are viewable over firewire.  There are exceptions, but the particular
hardware has little to no bearing on it.  To add further confusion,
the engineer might have set up the profile for one class of device in
one way, and completely differently for another.  the short version of
this answer is that you just won't know until you try.

Robert