[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Apr 4 19:45:15 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Using rsync to copy the files ; it's been running for over 20 hours
> already. The transfer rate is over 55MB/s most of the time ; but there
> are time it copies at no more than 6MB/s and I can see the number of
> errors in smart increasing...

For what it's worth, when copying to a RAID 5 array I often find it's
much faster to use dd to create a binary copy of the old partition onto
the new, then resize it to fit the new partition after the copy is done.
  (Assuming you have a filesystem that allows resizing.)  This is
because dd doesn't have to do lots of little partial-stripe writes in
order to update directory entries and the like.

On one cheap RAID 5 array I had at work there was about a 10x speed
difference between "dd bs=1M" and "cp -a".