[mythtv-users] long delays responding to keystrokes and ir events

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 17:03:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> My myth box has become almost unusable due to this delay issue.  I have to
> reboot to get it to work at all.  What bothers me is that I have done
> nothing to the machine except use it, no updates or fresh installs and
> suddenly the delay problem goes from once a month to once several times a
> show. Once I reboot, I can get through a show but before that, every time I
> hit a key I get a multi-minute delay.
> I have seen the patch that may address this and understand that updating the
> fixes may also help.  However, I am not experienced enough to know what to
> do with this patch file.  Is there a detailed set of instructions, like 50
> numbered steps, that will fix this problem?
> Allen

Allen, the first step to see if you're seeing the same issue before
attempting any fix is to run with libav logging:

$ mythfrontend -v important,libav > some_log_file

Play an example of each type of recording you have (especially
non-basic-mpeg2 recordings, such as HDHomerun mpeg ts files).  Then:

$ grep "Input #" some_log_file

If things are working properly, you'll see one line per file played
(might be some extraneous ones from the preview window), and it'll be
right the first time (e.g. PVR150 files will be "mpeg", HDHomerun will
be "mpegts", and mp4 h.264 files will be "mov,...").  If you see any
wrong types for a given file (e.g. a single HDHR file first as "mpeg"
and then as "mpegts"), and/or many,many lines that continue while the
file is playing, you're having the same issue.

The .tar.gz file that I posted on mediafire has a README with some
high level instructions.  I didn't make it truly beginner-proof,
mainly because I was short on time, but also because I'm not 100%
comfortable with passing random binaries around like this; people
should know the basics of what they're replacing and who it's from.
So if you're comfortable with general linux stuff (links, copying,
etc), go for it.  I'll be happy to help (on-list or off) if you need
further guidance.

Josh