[mythtv-users] recommendations for building new FE/BE HDTV system?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 5 19:33:25 UTC 2009

On Sunday 05 April 2009 13:24:36 Gordon McCrae wrote:

> You're correct, sorry I didn't notice you'd stated seeing better than 2x
> performance gain.
>
> This shouldn't be feasible (not purely with 2 disk striping anyway).
>
> The most obvious gotcha when testing this sort of thing is to ensure the
> file you're copying isn't cached the second and subsequent time, could
> that be a factor for you?

I get the same result no matter which drive I test first, but I'm aware that
hdparm is not the best tool for this sort of thing, probably bonnie++ or the
like would be better. It's the ultimate performance of the entire filesystem
that really matters, not just a portion of it, which is what the RAID array
by itself is.

But I don't want to spend too much time on the matter, I know the RAID array
will be faster than a single drive, and there's not much I can do to change
its performance anyway (I could toy with the RAID parameters, filesystem
parameters etc. I guess), but the system is fast enough and works well, so I
leave it alone.

--
beww
beww at beww.org