[mythtv-users] Disk Arrangement and LVM + JFS

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Mon Apr 6 19:12:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Ben Curtis <mythtv at nosolutions.com> wrote:

> After some great help in another thread, I've decided to give CentOS 5.3 +
> JFS a try for my new system which is my main server and of course,
> mythbackend.  My question is how would you guys recommend setting up the
> RAIDs?  I have 4 SATA 500GB, 1 PATA 500GB, and 4 SATA 1.5TB drives.  I'm
> debating the following options, with the requirements of:

<snip>

Ben,

  I used to run a 6-disk software Raid5 for my video partition, but after
having a dual-drive failure (yeah a freak thing), I switched to individual
disks with storage groups.

  I run a Raid-1 for my OS & Database (Mirrored 200GB Sata-II Disks) and
6x500GB Sata-II drives as individual disks.  That way if I lose any drives,
yeah, I lose some of my programming, but if by chance I lose more than one
drive, I don't lose the whole thing (which is what happened to me last time.
- 2.4TB of recordings went bye-bye...)

  I've also found that the software raid5 was noticably slower on my setup
(even with an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ and 2GB DDR2 800 DC ram) - perhaps that's
because I have 5 tuners and have very little 'idle' time -- sometimes even
all 5 tuners recording at once.  (and probably contributing to the dual
hardware failures due to high write utilization)   --  For example, since I
re-built my system 8 months ago - the MythWeb "Recording Statistics" page
shows a "Percent of time spent recording" of 93% !!

  Even the remote frontends seem much more responsive since I switched to
storage groups.

  Anyways, that's just my 2 cents...   It's only TV after all!!!   ;-)

J-e-f-f-A