[mythtv-users] upgrading MySQL

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Mon Apr 6 21:02:51 UTC 2009

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 17:03 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> \Uh...  You do realize you can run mysqldump--and easily with the backup
>> script--right?
>>

> Yes, and I intend to modify my backup script to do exactly that. But I
> can't continuously run mysqldump, so there will always be updates that
> are missed if I can't use the binary directly.
>
> Fortunately, death of a motherboard is fairly rare :-)

If you're concerned with an up to the minute DB backup for disaster
recovery purposes, you could just use MySQL replication to replicate
your DB to MySQL running on another server. As an added bonus, you can
do your mysqldump based backup from that slave rather than the master
and not care how long the tables are locked... as it'll do is queue up
the changes that have already been made on the master and forgotten
about by Myth.

I'd say for most cases, a nightly dump is sufficient. Heck, I do a
weekly dump right now (though I might change it to nightly at some point).

--
http://jacob.steenhagen.us

This message is digitally signed with GnuPG using the Enigmail Thunderbird plugin.
My public key: http://jacob.steenhagen.us/gpgkey.asc (91DE47A9)