[mythtv-users] Disk Arrangement and LVM + JFS

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Tue Apr 7 03:59:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 14:40 -0400, Ben Curtis wrote:

> After some great help in another thread, I've decided to give CentOS 5.3 +
> JFS a try for my new system which is my main server and of course,
> mythbackend.  My question is how would you guys recommend setting up the
> RAIDs?  I have 4 SATA 500GB, 1 PATA 500GB, and 4 SATA 1.5TB drives.  I'm
> debating the following options, with the requirements of:
>
> a) A fast root partition, capable of running VMWare images with as little
> IO overhead as possible. (Root)  IO overhead is actually one of the  main
> issues with my current setup, but that's partially because I have a bunch
> of 100GB RAID partitions across drives of different sizes.
> b) A place to store recordings/videos
> c) A place to store files and our creative work

Raid0 three of the 500's to make another 1.5 for the raid5 array, giving
6TB for data.

Use the 400 and remaining 500 for backups.

Can you spare $100 for a 32GB SSD for your root fs? You could even raid1
this with a 32G piece of a hard drive and tell md to read mostly from
the SSD. Reads will be fast, large writes will eventually be slowed by
the disk but gigantic root fs writes are rare.