[mythtv-users] First ION desktop officially announced - Acer AspireRevo

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 13:33:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:
>
> > I'd love it if they made something available for around $200, that's
> about
> > what it costs me to build a nice FE box now,
>
> Travis,
> Would you care to elaborate on how you make a nice FE box for $200?  :)

We'd all like to know!

The latest VDPAU capable FE I built cost me $273.95(excluding shipping) from
the Egg.

It was an Inwin BM639 case/power supply for $84.99
945GCLF2 MB and Atom 330 processor for $79.99
Sparkle 8400GS 512MB PCI card for $54.99
2GB memory for $18.99
80GB HDD for $34.99

In addition I had to replace the chipset fan (which was loud!).  I had a
40mm fan already - otherwise that would have been another $5 or so.  I
probably could have found a cheaper HDD but I wanted a Seagate, and that was
the smallest capacity that I clicked on.

It works a treat (plays back Blurays without a problem) using Ubuntu 8.10
and Jean-Yves's 0.21 repo.

I need to build another frontend, and would love to come in closer to $200
(for similar functionality)