[mythtv-users] Ripped DVD recordings have skips

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:56:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it so hard to do a bit true copy from a DVD to a file without
> doing any decryption?  This would not require any defeating of the
> encryption and would allow backup.  It seems to me that you only need
> decryption to view a file.  Obviously I am missing something.
>
> I know if people want to take a DVD and copy it to another DVD they
> have to decode it to compress it to fit the burnable DVD but that
> would be illegal and is not what any of us want to do.  We just want
> to back up our legally obtained DVDs and play them from HD.  Why can't
> we just copy the bits without regard to what they are?

I am sure you could do something like that. However the skips you were
having (that prompted this thread) are not the result of the CSS
encryption. That was cracked long ago, so now many studios resort to
all sorts of complex techniques, such as purposely putting bad sectors
all over the media such that computer drives will choke when trying to
rip the DVD, but doing it in such a way that it doesn't affect the
commercial players. The more sophisticated ripping software keeps up
on these ever evolving tactics and works around them.