[mythtv-users] GPT disk partitioning

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Apr 8 20:02:15 UTC 2009

Hi,

Since MythTV users are frequently on the bleeding edge of disk storage, at
least for personal Linux systems, I thought I'd point out my new programming
project, GPT fdisk:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/index.html

This is a tool that's modeled roughly after Linux fdisk, but for modifying
GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks rather than MBR disks. If you don't
understand why this is important, the project page to which I linked includes
some background information. In brief, you'll be forced to use GPT for the
over-2 TiB disks that will be appearing before too long, as well as for
certain hardware RAID configurations today. GPT also offers some minor data
safety advantages for smaller disks, in the form of partition checksums and
data structure backups. Currently, GNU Parted can handle GPT disks, but it's
a little quirky with them.

If you're interested in this sort of tool, I'd appreciate feedback and bug
reports; but note that to date I'm the only person who's run my program, so
you should consider it alpha quality. DO NOT USE IT ON A PRODUCTION SYSTEM!

--
Rod Smith