[mythtv-users] New deinterlacer for perfect image quality when using an interlaced display, mode that matches the source

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 23:38:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> 2009/4/8 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Where can I find this field-order no-flicker patch ?
>>>

>> Ooops, I see that you submitted it with the 6391 ticket.
>>
>> Any chance that you will adapt those OSD fixes on your backport of Mark's
>> patch
>
> I believe You can take the backport of Mark's patch,
> mythtv-0.21-field-order.6.patch, as is. The two things I fix in
> mythtv-0.21-field-order-no-flicker.patch, Mark already fixed in what he
> comitted to trunk. The no-flicker patch was just my playing catch up,
> in case Tom continued to have problems with mythtv-0.21-field-order.6.patch.
>
> Cheers,
>        Paul.

Believe it or not, I have an episode of Medium (NBC) from Monday night
that's not cooperating well with the deinterlacer (in this case the
mythtv-0.21-field-order.6.patch version).  It the same thing I saw on
that ER episode.  It's not so much tearing as odd, almost slightly
jerky motion...almost like when a show intensionally uses special
effects to create that sort of choppy/jumpy motion, but not that
pronounced.

This time my wife was able to see it for sure this time.  I can almost
guarantee these issues are related to the manner in which NBC mixes
progressive frames into their 1080i stuff.  If that's the case, I have
a feeling it will do the same with all versions of the
deinterlacer...unless for some reason, it only occurs only with that
OSD flicker fix.  I saved the show and will try it with both other
versions when I get a chance.  I'm unclear as to why it on;y seems to
happen with specific programs...perhaps it depends on the amount of
progressive frames.

It's an elusive issue though.  You can see the odd motion plainly on
part of a show, but jump back to the same place and have it work
fine...really annoying.  I also noticed that the show in general just
doesn't look that good...not as good as my 720p recordings and nowhere
near the 1080i stuff like, for example, PBS, which looks perfect.

Why can't NBC just send real 1080i like PBS instead of being such a
bunch of assholes...seriously.  I'd almost rather they just go to
720p.

Tom