[mythtv-users] Ubuntu VDPAU Repo crashing on screen configure

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 03:55:16 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/4/9 Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com>:
> I think that I switched to the testing repository (changed "release"
> to "testing" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/avenard.list), but an update
> didn't do anything. So what do I do to get it to install the testing
> packages?

the repository should be:
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos jaunty testing

to switch to the debugging version, force the version
version is 0.21.0+fixes-svn20313-openglvdpau-debug-0ubuntu5

Note the debug.

You may have to temporarily uninstall before it lets you dowgrade if
you're using synaptic.
to test playback you only need three packages:
libmyth-0.21
mythtv-common
and mythtv-frontend

>> BTW: what is the hardware you have that isn't supported by 8.10 ?
>> if it's sound or DVB-T cards , I've made packages for 8.10 that are
>> even more recent than what ships with 9.04.. No reason for not getting
>> 8.10 to support your hardware.
>
> I have a DViCO FusionHDTV7 Dual Express and an MSI K9N2GM-FIH (GeForce
> 8200 with HDMI audio output) and I was actually able to get them both
> working in Mythbuntu 8.10 by compiling my own drivers and updating
> ALSA, but if they work out of the box in 9.04, then why hassle with
> it? (well, if I can get 9.04 to be in a workable state).

no need to compile from source, I have the latest v4l-dvb drivers
available in a package using dkms for 8.10
as well as Alsa 1.0.19 on my repository
I'm pretty sure than installing those packages are much less of an
hassle than to upgrade to Jaunty

> Also, on a semi-related note, it appears that there is some sort of
> database issue with Jaunty right now, and I've submitted this bug
> report ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/356789 ), but it
> doesn't seem to have gotten much attention.

Don't know if it's just me... but the level of support and response in
either their bug system or their forum is almost non-existent.
I've asked many stuff in the ubuntu support forum, never get any answers :(

The Fedora forums were heaps better for that (and so was the
documentation available, most of the ubuntu docs haven't changed since
7.04)