[mythtv-users] Quicktime 1080p mov files smoother than 720p mkv (Debian)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 15:56:19 UTC 2009

> I need to get my Debian system running as testing. Then hopefully I will
> have an mplayer version that is VDPAU enabled and can test it out.

I seriously doubt that VDPAU mplayer will be in Debian testing. It may
be in unstable or perhaps somebody has done a backport. It seems like
you don't know much about what VDPAU is and when it was released. The
API was only announced in Nonmember
(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123091) and is only
supported in beta drivers. So it still hasn't even been officially
released and it isn't supported in any stable release of any software
that I am aware of. When they released the API, they released some
patches to make mplayer VDPAU capable, to demonstrate how to implement
it. I don't know if those patches have been accepted upstream and
incorporated into mplayer, but if they have they certainly won't be in
Debian testing this fast. I believe most people are compiling mplayer
themselves and incorporating the patches from nvidia. It is quite
incredible how quickly VDPAU support has been incorporated into
mythtv. If you are waiting for VDPAU support to be available from the
standard Debian repositories, you are going to be waiting for a long
time. Your best bet is to compile mythtv with the .21 backport patches
from jean-yves or mplayer with the patches from nvidia. If you are
lucky you may be able to find somebody who has an mplayer backport for
Debian testing. I suppose you could also move to .22 trunk or switch
distros to Ubuntu where there are certainly repositories available
that have mythtv and mplayer with VDPAU support.