[mythtv-users] Lirc + CentOS5 + rpmforge

Joe jfwd at phlobus.net
Fri Apr 10 17:29:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > i have the following packages installed from rpmforge.
>> > [myth at mythtv ~]$ rpm -qa |grep lirc
>> > lirc-0.6.6-4.el5.rf
>> > dkms-lirc-0.8.2-1.nodist.rf
>>
>> That's a pretty big version difference there!
>> I would expect you need a lirc-0.8.2-1 package to correspond with the
>> dkms package.  lirc-0.6.6 is ancient.
>>
>> Beyond that I can't make any other suggestions....
>>
> hrmm thats the only lirc package avail from rpmforge.  Does everyone from
> Fedora/EL world use ATRPMs then?  Seems i have more dep. issues then ever
> when using atrpms.

That's actually one of the reasons I jumped from Fedora to Ubuntu for
my home systems (and mythbuntu for the myth boxes) about 2 years ago.
Much less dependency-hell since then (and also much less need to use
3rd party repositories).

That being said, on the Centos 5 machines I do have, I keep an
"enabled=0" line in the yum repo file for atrpms and rpmforge.  When I
need to install a specific package I just use "--enablerepo=atrpms" on
the yum command, this tends to keep things in check better.  Also, an
"exclude" line in the repo file can be helpful in telling yum you
don't want packages from a particular repository.

I recently came across a yum plugin called "priorities" which seems
like it should address the problem as well.  I haven't tried it yet,
but take a look at:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

Hope this helps
-Joe