[mythtv-users] AC3 sound does not work

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 15:16:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Joacim J <jocke4news at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 13/04/2009, Joacim J <jocke4news at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Yes, I have read it but have not seem what can cause my problem (or I am
>> > blind)
>>
>> Please don't top-post.
>>
>> Most likely cause: you have a broken /home/mythtv/.asoundrc file that
>> could be masking a working /etc/asound.conf file.
>>
>> If your other 'normal' users with working sound have their own
>> .asoundrc files, place a good copy in your MythTV user's home
>> directory directory. If all users are to use a single asound
>> configuration file (which can simplify things), remove all
>> user-specific .asoundrc files as Allen's wiki page suggests, and use
>> the system-wide /etc/asound.conf file.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> --
>> Nick Morrott
>>
>> MythTV Official wiki:
>> http://mythtv.org/wiki/
>>
>> "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
>> Franklin
>>

> I don't have any of these files...and it's a standard Ubuntu 8.10 (out of
> the box ....more or less)
>
> root at bilbo:/home/joacim# ls -al /home/joacim/.a*
> ls: cannot access /home/joacim/.a*: No such file or directory
>
> root at bilbo:/home/joacim# ls -al /home/mythtv/.a*
> ls: cannot access /home/mythtv/.a*: No such file or directory
>
> root at bilbo:/home/joacim# ls -al /etc/asou*
> ls: cannot access /etc/asou*: No such file or directory
>
> Yes, I would like to have system wide sound configuration. But since it's
> working in the normal account, without these configuration files.
>
> Also that I have only problem with AC3 encoded sound, other sounds are
> working (analog port => TV and SPDIF COAX => Amplifier and speakers)
>
> --
> Regards
> Joacim

Just to be sure try this:

sudo updatgedb
locate .asoundrc
Then if nothing is found, post /etc/asound.conf

That said, if this is a new install, reinstall it.  I average 3 installs to
get one system working correctly usually because I have made some mistake
and thought I could back up and correct it.  My advice is if you skip a step
in the install or discover your mistake, start over.

Allen