[mythtv-users] First Nvidia Ion box - Acer Aspire Revo prices revealed

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 22:23:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1GB RAM and 8GB flash is perfect for a frontend, but there are some
>> problems.  This is the single core Atom, so even when the multithreaded
>> ffmpeg stuff comes through, you're stuck using VDPAU for anything HD, which
>> means you're on trunk instead of a release version.
>
> Even if it was a dual core atom no atom can decode mpeg2 HD.  And for sure
> not h.264.

Raymond was referring to Alex Strange's ffmpeg-mt branch, which he
will be working on again this summer after spending last summer
working on it for the GSoC.  With this branch, which allows even load
balancing of all (implemented) codecs regardless of slicing or other
encoding, a dual core atom would be more than adequate for broadcast
MPEG-2 HD.  Might even be "nice."

>> Network is only 100mbit, which isn't a problem, but disappointing for
>> people who may want to shift to all gigabit/jumbo.
>
> sending HD over a network will not reqire gig network.  i run diskless front
> ends off a 100mb and can due pip, my OS/files, and be recording on the
> backend of the HDHR.

He referred to jumbo frames-- properly implementing Jumbo requires
that all devices on the subnet support that frame size.  This means
the box can't be used on a jumbo subnet.  He said that it wasn't a
problem for the video, just for jumbo.

Robert