[mythtv-users] First Nvidia Ion box - Acer Aspire Revo prices revealed

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 03:41:48 UTC 2009

>> Could you use a layer 3 switch and set up a couple VLANs? What's so great
>> about jumbo frames that it would make revamping one's network worthwhile?
>>
> By sending larger packets instead of (1450 bytes?) you can get the
> interrupt rate from the network card down to some extent. I believe
> each packet fires 1 interrupt so that the pc can inspect the packet.
> And at 100MB/s that is quite a few packets per second.

Is this still the case, even with DMA? I thought the CPU didn't get
interrupted until the buffer was full of a pile of packets, but I
could be wrong.

I remember that when Gigabit cards first came out, they could saturate
the CPU before hitting full wire speed, but with TCP offload and more
GHz this seems to be less of a problem. Still, sending 9K at a time
instead of 1.5K definitely has less overhead, both from a wire-bits
standpoint as well as CPU.
___
 /yler