[mythtv-users] Software RAID5 faster than RAID10?

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Tue Apr 14 17:49:32 UTC 2009

> Now the problem is that any read and any write on raid5 must access all
> the disks, so you end up with roughly the same IOop rate as with a
> single drive. With raid10, you now have two independent sets of data.
> You must write to all disks at once, but you can read from either disk
> in the mirror, doubling concurrent IOops.

This is actually a really good point I hadn't thought of.  In my setup, I
have a RAID5 for my recordings, and the RAID10 is my system partition
(which also houses 2 VMWare images that run constantly).  Despite the
single file read/write times, from an IO perspective, my RAID10 may be
something I should stick with.

Thanks everyone,
Ben