[mythtv-users] Block HD Commercials?

Kevin Ar18 kevinar18 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 02:56:56 UTC 2009

Sorry about the blank message...  Firefox doesn't work right with hotmail. :(

Anyways, I want something that will block commercials on live feeds and DVR recorded content.  However, the problem I keep finding during my research is HDCP.  Supposedly, it hasn't been cracked yet and that means no free software can record HDCP protected content.  Is this correct?

Anyways, I don't suppose there are alternative solutions that have been implemented that don't even need HDCP.  For example what about using subtitles?  You have one device with a cheap HD tuner that receives a non-HDCP signal that has been downgraded.  It looks at the subtitles and compares it to a list (like a spellcheker).  If it's a commercial it then sends a signal to another device that immediately cuts off the full HD HDCP signal going to the TV, thus blocking commercials in real-time and replacing them with whatever you want.