[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome won't resume on Asus M3N78-EM

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 04:37:44 UTC 2009

I have been trying to see if I can start using mythwelcome to allow my
main FE/BE to sleep when not in use. I was following the instructions
on ACPI Wakeup in the mythtv wiki. Things seem to work if I set things
up to shutdown. But if I try to use suspend the machine wakes up and
then after I make my first move on the menu the machine hangs. I can
switch to a terminal via Ctrl-Alt-F1 and I can see hundreds of "end
request: I/O error..." scrolling by. After googling around quite a bit
this seems to be some kernel problem with AHCI and MSI (message signal
interrupt not MSI the company). I also saw a suggestion that this is
only an issue when the nvidia driver is loaded. People have suggested
the problem can be fixed by adding pci=nomci to the kernel parameters
at boot. However, I saw some statements indicating that there could be
adverse affects from disabling MSI, like poor pci-e performance in
particular.

I am asking the list because I know this seems to be a popular board
on the list. I was wondering if anybody has been able to get it to
suspend/resume successfully. Is disabling MSI likely to affect my
network or disk performance, or any other things that are important to
a myth system?