[mythtv-users] Block HD Commercials?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:17:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am really confused on this thread.  I thought there was no HDCP on
> TV.  As my experience is with OTA broadcast, perhaps this is a cable
> thing.  I have HDCP on my projector but it accepts Myth output just
> fine as it is a computer and the projector is happy with a computer as
> an input.  As far as I know, myth will not implement HDCP so there
> should not be an issue.

There is no HDCP involved in OTA.  It *does* exist in commercial cable
and satellite receivers, however.  As mentioned elsewhere in this
thread, HDCP is applied by the output device, and there's no concept
of or support for HDCP of any kind in linux. HDCP is DVI/HDMI only,
and neither of those are directly captureable in linux.  With the
HDFury, the HDCP can be stripped off while converting to (still HD)
component, which can be captured with the HD-PVR.

Robert