[mythtv-users] Multiple dib0700: RC Query Failed in syslog. Fix included.

covert covert thecovert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 05:50:39 UTC 2009

This post is to share a fix I have found for the problem.

I have had a problem with my Asus U3100 tuners for some time now.
After running for a day or two i would start to get spam in my dmesg
and syslog of "dib0700: RC Query Failed" "error while querying for an
remote control event.". The error repeats every 150ms until the
machine is rebooted. Tuner will not record when it is like this.

Now the Asus U3100 does not have a IR receiver in it but V4L seems to
think it does

DiB0070: successfully identified
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-4/input/input8
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
dvb-usb: ASUS My Cinema U3100 Mini DVBT Tuner successfully initialized
and connected.

So my fix for the problem since I don't have or have a need for a usb
based ir receiver is to disable the disable_rc_polling for dvb_usb.

This can be done while the system is running by
#echo 1 > /sys/module/dvb_usb/parameters/disable_rc_polling
Or at bootup with editing /etc/modprobe.d/options and adding
options dvb_usb disable_rc_polling=1

Ideally IR support needs to be removed from the V4L source for the
U3100 but that will be a future project.