[mythtv-users] Schedules direct question

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 16 19:23:57 UTC 2009

Phill Wiggin wrote:
>>> I ran into something like this a few days ago when I ran out of disk
>>> space on my server. Any chance that's happening here?
>>   No I have a good bit of room on that partition just yet, but i have
>> much more room on a partition dedicated to Myth-Tv recordings (if I ever
>> get that far), that I'd be willing to use for any Myth-tv purpose.  Is
>> that even possible, moving the relevant config and database files over
>> to the dedicated sapce?
>>

> To answer your question, yes, you _could_ move the files to another
> partition, but there's probably no real benefit to doing so.  Just a
> datapoint, but I've been running my current install of Myth for.. oh, 18
> months or so, and the MySQL database is still under 200Meg. If you've got a
> few gigs free on the partition you're working on, you should be fine.
>
> The only reason I could see that your primary partition might fill up
> quickly is if you run into some sort of constant error that gets logged to a
> file. I've seen log files grow into the Gb range _really_ quickly.  But
> that's an anomoly and most people never see that.
>
> PhillW

Your myth setup consists of 2 main parts: the programs/libraries
generally in /usr/bin and /usr/lib, and the mysql database.

Fedora puts the database under /var/lib/mysql
But /var/log gets all sorts of stuff pushed into it.
If the var partition (which may be '/' fills up, everything fails *and
you are likely to lose the database*.

Presuming you have /home on a separate partition, for safety, you can
move /var/lib/mysql to /home/mysql and use a symlink at /var/lib/mysql.
(Under fedora its also probably not a bad idea to do the same sort of
thing for /var/www/html which is the httpd doc-root.)

/var is not safe from being wiped out in other ways. For example, ubuntu
   deletes the entire contents the /var partition on installation, even
if you tell it *not* to format the partition....and thus destroys the
file structure necessary to allow Fedora to boot....Nice trick, that..

Move the database (and back it up) and you will be safe. If you lose the
programs and libraries an install does not take very long.

Geoff