[mythtv-users] First Nvidia Ion box - Acer Aspire Revo prices revealed

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 01:50:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM, John Andrunas <john at andrunas.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looks like the ION platform has some hurdle ahead of them.
>>
>> Intel has informed manufacturers that the Atom CPU would only be
>> available wholesale when purchased with an Intel chipset.
>>
>> Check one of the link in that thread (can't go to it directly,
>> otherwise it asks for a username/password)
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125461
>>

> I thought Intel late debunked that, and the Mini 9 has an Atom 270 in
> it, just like the rest of the current netbooks out there.

Yes, that was just rumor and was quickly corrected by Intel. They
would likely see an antitrust suit if they did do that.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3793391/Intel%20Denies%20Squeezing%20nVidia%20Out%20From%20Atom.htm

Also the next revision of ION is due in 4th quarter '09 and will
support celeron, pentium, core2 duo, and via nano in addition to atom
processors. If they don't get it right with this first batch, then I
think they will get it right on the next round. I think ION will be
the way to go for a frontend by the end of this year. You would think
we would have seen something like this from AMD/ATI shortly after the
merger, but they still only have their fusion platform on the roadmap
for 2011, I think that is what I last heard.