[mythtv-users] Nvidia card temps

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Fri Apr 17 11:46:21 UTC 2009

Adam Skinner wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I've recently purchased an Nvidia Geforece 9500GT passively cooled for
> use with mythtv VDPAU.  Stupid thing also takes up 2x pci / backpanel
> slots.
>
> It all seems to be working fine most of the time, but it does get hot.
> 60 degrees C at idle , 80-90 degrees on load.
>
> According to nvidia-settings and the gnome applet for hardware
> monitoring/ sensors.
>
> Does anyone know if this is normal? Should I be worried. My CPU sits
> around 30-40 degrees C.
>
> Does anyone have or know of a 8000 series passive cooled card that works
> well with VDPAU and only takes up a single pci  slot? And if so, what
> temps are you getting?
>
> Thanks in advance

I have two 8400 cards. Both passively cooled. One of them is a full
height card that came with a passive heatsink. The other is a half
height card that came with a small, annoying fan and I made my own heat
sink. Both of them run in the high 50's to low 60's under load. While I
was testing different heatsinks I ran one of them in the high 90's for a
while. I have not seen any problems so far. According to the Nvidia
config utility my cards will not throttle their clocks back until they
hit 125C!

You can try to make a better heatsink for your 9500, but it may be hard
to get one that only fills a single slot. My full height 8400 fills a
single slot, but my half height 8400 card takes two. I put up some
pictures and more info on making my own heatsink here:
http://jamesanddiana.com/blog/?p=9

Cheers,
James