[mythtv-users] Nvidia card temps

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:49:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:39 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:05:33PM +0100, Rafael Moslin wrote:
>> I've got a passive 8500GT that sits around the 50-60c mark all of the time,
>> does VDPAU as well but only if I run Mythfrontend in an SSH session on my
>> laptop but I (sarcastically) suspect that's not the cards fault.
>
> My passive 8400gs has always run below 50C.
>
> After beefing up my case cooling, it generally never gets above 45C
> and usually runs at 42C or lower. Playing a BD rip with the mythtv
> player doesn't increase the GPU temperature more than 1C.
>
> [deletia]
>
> I would be seriously worried about that GPU.

I would not worry at all. It's designed to run stable at 120C. No need
to run it at 50C. Just like Intel core2 cpus run perfectly stable at
80C. That was surely shocking to see my first intel cpu (in 10 years
Q9550) idle at 60C when I was used to AMD cpus idling at 30C and
become unstable at 65C..

John