[mythtv-users] How can I get my monitorless backend to start up

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 06:07:10 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Steve V <olivuts at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It seems like the only issue I have is that I can't use VNC because it
> relies on Xorg.
>
> So my choices are:
> change the Xorg settings so I can use VNC
> or
> Use something other than VNC for remote management that does not require
> Xorg to be changed.

There are two ways you can run VNC. It sounds like you using the Xorg module
or x11vnc to use an existing X session with vnc. If you can't get Xorg to
run then that's not an option. But you can also run Xvnc which is a complete
X server dedicated to vnc. That should work regardless of the issue you're
having with Xorg.

I run both on my combined frontend/backend/general server: x11vnc lets me
connect to the MythTV frontend session so I can control it remotely and Xvnc
I use as persistent remote desktop session (and it sounds like that is what
you want).

Regards,
Steve